In October 1885 the premises of Margaret Finlay was being conducted as a boarding house.
In January 1886 Margaret Finlay applied for a colonial wine license for premises in Union Street and supported the application with a petition signed by some of Goulburn’s notable citizens. Her license was granted and the Prince of Wales Hotel was formed.
On 29 October 1927, Robert and Kate Gordon took over the premises and change of name to the hotels current name “The Gordon Hotel”. The Gordon Family retained the hotel for nearly 65 years before passing it on in 1992.
Since that time the hotel has enjoyed a number of hoteliers until our current publican, since October 2004.